TORRID FAITH

TORRID FAITH
Ignite your faith!

9/12/2010

THE ROOT BEER BARREL

A long time ago I heard a story that brought tears to my eyes and gave me an idea about God and how He invests in our future. This isn’t that exact story, but it is close enough to give you the general idea.

Once upon a time, in anticipation of having his first child, Raymond Boyd placed an old root beer barrel at the end of his bed and dropped his loose change in the bottom.

“What’s that?” his wife asked.

“It’s our son’s college fund.”

Nancy leaned over the barrel and peered in the bottom. “I hope he enjoys junior college.”

Raymond took her criticism as fun, but didn’t give up on his dream. After all, he’d spent his entire life working in a coal mine and he wanted more for his son. Every day after work, he’d empty his pockets and drop the contents inside. As the change jingled to the bottom, he believed he was one step closer to giving his son a great future.

One year, the mine had to be shut down. Times were hard and he could see his wife eying the jar, but the thought never crossed his mind. No matter what, he still dropped all his loose change into the barrel. When it got full, Raymond would roll the coins and place them in a safe.
Eighteen years later, the barrel and safe were emptied and his son went off to college. With chest out and pride in his heart, Raymond placed the barrel in the garage, for it’s purpose was over.

Years went by and his son married. At Christmas, Raymond and Nancy went to visit them for dinner. When Raymond went into the nursery, a big smile encompassed his face, there sitting at the end of the crib was the old root beer barrel.
His son patted him and said, “Mom, thought I should have it for my daughter.”
Raymond, choked with emotion, reached in his pocket, pulled out his change, and dropped it in the barrel.


This idea truly touched my heart. I think the story shows God’s love for us, and how he puts “coins in our barrel,” preparing us for things to come. He invests in our future. The world, our families, those we’re closest to may not always understand, but if we trust God, I promise He has the best things planned for us.

Jer. 29:11 “For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord. “Plans to prosper you and not to harm you. Plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you.”

No comments:

Post a Comment